Federation University Australia

Sydney & Adelaide


Deferring, Suspending or Cancelling Enrolment

Students are not permitted to take a period of intermission or leave from studies. If a student believes that there is a need to take leave from studies, the following procedure must be followed. Students may apply for deferment of their studies under compassionate or compelling circumstances.

Compassionate and compelling circumstances are generally those beyond the control of the student and which impact on the student's program progress or wellbeing.

These could include:

Illness, where a medical certificate states that you were unable to attend classes

The death of a close family member such as a parent or grandparent (where possible a copy of a death certificate should be provided)

Major political upheaval or natural disaster in the home country requiring emergency travel and where this has impacted on your studies

A traumatic experience that could include involvement in, or witnessing of a serious accident; or witnessing or being the victim of a serious crime and this has impacted on your studies (supported by police and psychologists reports)

Where the university was unable to offer pre-requisite unit.

You must apply in writing prior to taking the leave. Your application should be in writing and include written evidence from an independent authority to substantiate the basis for your request

If you wish to defer your studies, you are required to complete the Application for Leave from Studies form, available from IIBIT Student Services. Your leave from studies needs to be approved by your School.

If you wish to cancel your enrolment, you are required to complete the Withdrawal from All Studies available from student services.

Deferring of cancelling your studies may have an effect on your student visa. You should contact Department of Home Affairs for advice before lodging the Application for Leave from Studies from or Withdrawal from All Studies from.

You must seek advice from IIBIT about the impact of taking leave on your study patterns and Visa requirements before taking any action. Where leave or deferral is approved, any fee refund will be determined in accord with the normal refund policy of the Federation University Australia

Suspension or Cancellation of Enrolment by the University

The Federation University Australia can suspend or cancel a student’s enrolment if:

it deems your behaviour to be unacceptable for an educational setting


breaches of discipline